Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Let's Redefine "Romantic"

With Valentine's Day just around the corner, many people are scrambling for last-minute plans and gifts. Images fed through media have brainwashed us with capitalism's idea of "romance." With Yelp invading my inbox today with it's own version of romance in this week's newsletter (chocolate, dim lighting, patio seating, overlooking beach, zzz), I decided to go to the press with a couple of my offbeat ideas of expressing your appreciation for one another.

Traditional gift: Flower Arrangements/Bouquets
Price: $50+
What it says: I'm unoriginal, quite possibly broke after the money I spent, and want to represent our love with a gift that has a fixed life span
Replace with: A potted plant, flower or spice
Price: $2-10
Not only does it live longer than a week, it continually gives a return.
Suggestions:
-peace lily, known to clean indoor air of contaminants ("I care about you.")
-jalapeños ("I'm hot for your lovin'.")

Traditional dinner: Prix Fixe at the City's Hot Spot
Price: $100+
What it says: I may be trendy, but I'm definitely broke after dinner
Replace with: Karaoke night
Price: $40
Rent a private room at the local karaoke bar, order some finger foods and booze (for the inhibited), and serenade each other with songs that remind you of one another.
My suggestions:
-Divinyls, I Touch Myself
-'N Sync, God Must Have Spent A Little More Time On You
-Madonna, Like A Virgin

Obviously, no two couples are alike; what works for some may not work for others. What is certain is that thinking outside the box creates a much more memorable experience. Saving money, which is something we all can appreciate, is just an added bonus.

3 comments:

  1. Adding Bloodhound Gang - The Bad Touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, i feel so unromantic already. i don't remember celebrating valentine's day in the last decade or so but we never miss cny. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. @alex: Fabulous idea :)

    @angel: We can celebrate both together this year. Does Lily have a Valentine yet because I'm claiming her as mine!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails